Sunday, January 22, 2012

Are Our Kids Getting Smarter Than Us?

Are our kids getting smarter than us?

I was reading some of the stuff I had on my Facebook page from the last year. I ran across this entry and it made me laugh and think.


Joel(5yrs old): mom will u play a game with me?
me: sure!
Joel: want me to tell u how to play?
me: sure!
Joel: it's called go away! first you give me some of those(pointing to a box of candy) and then I go away!
me: Really???
Joel:(with a serious look on his face) yeah it's easy want me to show you how?


Ha ha, it made me think of the many times my kids have said things that seem too smart for their own good!
Since when can I not convince my 5 year old that I have eyes in the back of my head? I could do it 15 years ago when my oldest was 5! Now when I try to convince Joel he just says "mom I know your lying because God only puts eyes on the front of our head to see where we are going...If He put them on the back we would all walk around backwards more". lol

Of course I know this is due in part to the distance we have come with technology and TV in the last 15 years, but maybe it's also part of having a big family. I know I am always having to watch what my older kids say around the younger ones and 15 years ago there where no older ones around to corrupt my babies.....yeah, I think I have it all figured out! It's all my teenagers fault! See I have not lost my touch. I just have too many stinking teenagers in the house!


So, maybe my 5 year old is too smart for his own good, but hey in a few years he will be able to explain to me why the heck math at some point starts to use letters in place of numbers!!! Yeah...I will leave my math ineptness and struggles for a whole other day!
I love my kids though....smartas......umm I mean smart alecks and all! ha ha

1 comment: